Thursday, July 25, 2013

Nesting Etiquette

Hi all. As you know, our hens have begun to lay. I'm thinking we've already got a broody hen on our hands. That just means we've got a hen who thinks she wants to hatch some eggs out herself. While I'm willing to try to accomodate her, I thought it would be a good idea to write a post about nesting etiquette in general.


Chickens look for a few key things when looking for a spot to lay that all-important egg in. They tend to look for privacy, protection, darkness, and comfort. If you provide these things, your chickens can happily lay their eggs there. 

First, I want to discuss the nests themselves. You really can use just about anything for a nest. You can build some or use household items. Some good examples of useable household items include:

*   Litterbox-covered ones work especially well
*   Small pet carrier
*   5 gallon bucket
*   Crates
*   Dog house

Our nests are handmade and items from the house. I have a set of 3 stacked crates turned on its side and then Mitch's handmade nests on top of those. You can elevate the nests or have them on the ground. We covered our nests after the pictures were taken to prevent roosting in the boxes. Many people put curtains on the boxes for added beauty and privacy.

The next thing I want to discuss is bedding in the nests. You can use whatever you use in the rest of the coop, which is what I do, or you can use something else. Some suitable bedding options are straw, pine needles, or wood shavings (not cedar). This will add protection for the delicate eggs and comfort for the hens. Other items can be added to the bedding for additional benefit. One example of this is herbs like mint. You can read more about this at The Fresh Eggs Daily Blog.


I like to add golf balls or fake eggs to my nests. Chickens will feel more confident laying eggs in a nest where there are already some eggs. This means that that is a safe spot. This will help prevent chickens from laying eggs in oddball places. It is really helpful for new laying hens.

These are the main things to keep a hen happy when laying eggs. Wish me luck with my broody!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. That's exciting! Good luck wirh your broody momma! I can't wait to see the baby chicks. :)

    ReplyDelete