Friday, April 12, 2013

DIY Play Dough

Hi all. As most of you know, I have a busy little toddler on my hands. We are trying to teach him many things, among them are his colors. I'm sure most of you have seen the recipes for homemade play dough floating around the blogosphere, facebook, and pinterest. Well, I saw it too! I decided I'd give it a whirl.

I can't link up to the recipe I used, so I'll just write it out here.


* 1 c. Flour
* 1 c. Water
* 1/4 c. Salt
* 1 Tbsp Veggie oil
* 2 tsp Cream of Tartar
* Food coloring (kool-aid can also be used)

Mix everything in a small kettle until most of the clumps are gone. Add as much or as little coloring as you desire. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Mix until it reaches the consistency of play dough. It will look slightly dry and cooked. This happens in just a few minutes!  Be prepared to stir your arms off! Place on a plate to cool. Knead for a few minutes to fully disperse all ingredients and moisture.  Once completely cool, it can be stored in a sealed container for several months. 

I did not try using kool-aid myself, but I read that it can be used and smells yummy!  I used several drops of cheap food coloring.  Mine doesn't stain at all. This is non-toxic and totally edible (though not tasty). The first thing my son did was eat some!  I found it to be exactly like what you buy at the store. It was really fun to make!  

Thanks for reading! 

2 comments:

  1. This would be a fun craft for the kids to do! They'll think its neat to make their own play dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very fun project! Toby loves it, and it is JUST LIKE the real thing! I promise you won't be disappointed.

      Delete