Friday, May 31, 2013

U-Pick: Asparagus & Strawberries

Hi all! Yesterday (while it was pretty and sunny) my mom and I made it out to Wilmington, OH to visit a couple u-pick farms. We had a wonderful day picking asparagus and strawberries.


First off, in case some of you may not be familiar with u-pick farms, I will explain. A u-pick farm is a farm, generally frequented by the local area (but not limited to), in which the farmer grows crops to be picked by the farm's customers/visitors. The crop can be anything from beans, corn, berries, pumpkins, etc. The premise is that the buyer does the work, and enjoys the experience, fresh picked produce, and usually a discounted rate over the pre-picked produce also available. The farms may be closely monitored or run on the honor system. It varies place to place.

The two farms we visited were the Brausch Asparagus Farm and Bergefurd's Farm Market and Greenhouse. Here is their info:

Brausch Asparagus Farm
2514 Center Road,
Wilmington, OH 45177
937-382-2384

Bergefurd's Farm Market and Greenhouses
234 West State Route 350,
Wilmington, OH 45177
937-383-2133

Just a few tips on visiting u-pick farms:
*  Call the prospective farm before visiting to ensure that it is open, that there is produce available to pick, what is available, what the price is. This way you won't be shocked or disappointed when you arrive.

*  Bring a cooler with ice for delicate items like berries

*  Try to avoid overstuffing your containers so you don't end up with squashed produce

*  This can be a fun activity to do with your kids!

You can find a u-pick farm near you by following the link to Pick Your Own

Now check out some of my pictures!!

The asparagus was so pretty and tender. Quite a sight to behold.

We forgot to get pictures of the strawberry farm *gasp*. You will just have to take my word when I say it was HUGE and so very fragrant. Here are some pics of our food that packed up. 

Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment below about your own u-pick experiences!

2 comments:

  1. So jealous!!! A upick asparagus farm, I didn't know they exist!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either did I until I found it on that website. When I saw it, I knew I had to check it out!

      Delete